The student news site of Lakeville South High School

The Current

Filed under Sports, Student Life

Football coach retires after thirty-eight years

The front of Lakeville South High School, which is the home of recently retired head football coach Larry Thompson.

Katie Loveless

Katie Loveless

Today, long-time Lakeville South High School football coach Larry Thompson retired after a thirty-eight yearlong career. The official announcement came after speculations that Thompson would soon be leaving the team. In his resignation letter addressed to Lakeville South activities direction Neil Strader, Thompson wrote that he “would like to retire from my position as Head Football Coach at South High School.  It has been an amazing thirty-eight years as Head Coach.”

Thompson was a favorite among both alumni and current students at Lakeville South. “We really like the guy. He was hard on people and I thought that’s really good for a football team and it’s what we needed, but I guess the team just wasn’t really coming around, and it was time,” commented soph. Jacob Rongitsch.

In 2005, after becoming the head coach atLakeville South, Thompson not only lead his team to three state championships but was also named coach of the year 5 different times. “He just changed this school for the better and we all wish him the best in life,” expressed Junior Tyler Mahlman.

His dedication to the position was evident in his resignation. In the last part of the letter Thompson added, “I was going to coach at South until we got turf, but I can’t wait until I’m 100.”

Larry Thompson’s complete retirement letter written to current LSHS Activities Director Neil Strader, via MNFootballHub.com, is below.

“I would like to retire from my position as Head Football Coach at South High School.  It has been an amazing 38 years as Head Coach.  I would like to thank Bob Erickson and a very supportive school board, along with Neil Strader and the preceding Athletic Directors.  I want to thank all the great players I have had the honor of coaching.  The football families I have worked with are going to be my lasting friends.  I have really enjoyed working with all the outstanding coaches that have been on my staff.  Thank you to all of you.  I need to mention my best friends, Dave Comer, Jim Knutson, Dick Zeman, and the late Dick “”Magic” Johnson.  You guys are the best.

I was going to coach at South until we got turf, but I can’t wait until I’m 100.

Thanks for the memories and God Bless.”