The student news site of Lakeville South High School

The Current

Double review: After Math and Murder by Poe

Part of the cast of one act

Part of the cast of one act "After Math." Photo by Madison Koski.

Performed at 7 p.m. on February 3, the One Act Double Feature was an impressive display of talent. The performance of the student-led “After Math,” directed by Madison Koski and Ben Wick, followed by South’s competitive piece “Murder by Poe,” directed by Joseph Papke, were both talented pieces.

“After Math” was a little difficult to follow along with, but the story follows a boy named Emmett who is openly mocked by his classmates for having a higher voice. When he’s suddenly taken away by a man in suits and is never seen again his classmates realize that through their flawed theories, they really didn’t know Emmett at all. Overall the acting was well done with each monologue expressing the character’s feelings perfectly. Each cast member made no two characters seem alike, bringing the show to the next level.

“Murder by Poe” follows a young woman as she stumbles upon a mansion. Upon arriving she meets the residents, who all share their tales of horror and bloodlust. The show contains a small cast and is chilling to the core with an uneasy feeling among the audience all throughout the show. The actors all portrayed their characters as though they were straight out of one of Edgar Allen Poe’s thrilling stories, which in a sense, they were.