The student news site of Lakeville South High School

The Current

Filed under Opinion, Showcase

A parking disaster: Why our lot needs a change

Cars parked in the LSHS parking lot. Photo by Katie Loveless

• Apple Valley: $180 trimester
  • Farmington: $180 trimester per year
  • Prior lake: $40 per quarter ($160 per year)
  • Shakopee: $60 per year
  • Lakeville South: $250 per year

For years, students have been paying $250 in total for a parking pass, while other schools in the area pay less than $200. Not only do we pay more than the other schools, but our parking lot is never plowed and there is rarely any gravel or salt in the lot, making it extremely dangerous.

One of the highest parking passes around us for the whole year is Apple Valley’s at $180 and the lowest being Shakopee’s at $60 per year. Not only are their prices much lower than ours, their lots are also plowed. With our lot never being plowed, student’s parking is unfit for Minnesotan winters. We can never see the spaces, so cars have four or five feet between each other, therefore there is less room and people are forced into the third lot, one we never normally have to use. People also tend to park diagonally and have an unnecessary large parking space. There have even been some incidents where students should have been closer to the car next to them but how could they know where the lines are? And how close is too close? The funny thing is that we don’t know how to park without these lines.

Another thing with the lot never being plowed, people who own bigger cars or trucks think it is fun to fish-tail through the lot and drive in circles before school, while other students are still driving through the lot! I can’t tell you how many times I have thought I was going to get hit by another car or have to abruptly stop, causing me to get hit from behind.

If the quality of the lot in the winter doesn’t improve or the prices of parking passes don’t go down, something bad will happen, whether it is someone getting hit by another car or students just deciding not to pay for passes. It is inevitable.