The student news site of Lakeville South High School

The Current

Filed under Beauty

It’s time for you to decide how you feel about winter

Winter is the time when your skin and hair reaches optimum dryness. This occurs because as it gets colder and the air gets drier, electrons disappear from your face and hair thus leaving protons that resist each other. And as if it couldn’t be any worse, the dryness leads to itchiness which further leads to very red and cracked skin. Getting away from the visual downsides of winter, another downside is how you feel. During the winter months, where the sun seems to come and go within the blink of an eye, people find themselves feeling more depressed. And this feeling of depression is legitimate as when there is less sunlight, your body produces the more of the chemical Melatonin which is known to cause sleep.
However, there are a lot of reasons to love the winter season, for example, you get more sleep! This happens because as the temperature drops outside, our body’s mimic this and lowers your internal temperature thus allowing you to get better sleep at night. But the cold weather manages to do more for you; it helps your skin in a variety of ways. First off, the cold of the winter keeps your skin clearer and your pores less visible! Cold weather slows down, sometimes even stops, the secretion of the sebum – a hormone secreted by the Sebaceous gland gives your skin the appearance of being oily. And cold weather also rejuvenates your skin, which tightens the skin.