The student news site of Lakeville South High School

The Current

Two down, one to Go: Boys hockey achieving goals with each win

Kendra Nelson, Staff Writer

Boys Hockey’s on its way to state for the first time since 2012. At the sections game last Thursday, South boys beat the North boys hockey team. “It is a great feeling given the history between the two programs. We feel we earned the win to get us to state.” coach Andrew Bucchino states about winning the sections game. Sr. captain Josh Ess also feels this enthusiasm that his coach feels. “Amazing feeling to win sections with the guys I grew up with but we’re here to win it all.” Ess said.

This year, the boys hockey team has won 18 games, and lost nine games. Their opponent this Thursday at state, St. Thomas Academy has won 23 games, and lost four games. “We are ready for Thursday vs. St. Thomas. We feel St. Thomas will transition well and be very structured.” Bucchino says. In order to be ready for Thursday, the boys had to stay focused while being aware of their strengths so that they could use them during the game at the Xcel. “We have been working towards winning sections and making it to state for years and it’s really a dream come true.” jr. captain Jack Olsen says.

Even though playing at the Xcel might sound intimidating, the coach Bucchino says that it “will not change how we play. It is a different environment with many distractions, but the game never changes..only your opponents.” Not only is the coach excited for state, but the captains couldn’t be more ready. “I am looking forward to playing in the X in front of the big crowd with my brothers. Also at the beginning of the year our goal was to “beat north, make state, win state” so we have accomplished two of those and have 1 more to go.” sr captain Sam Malinski states.

Now they are off to state and we’ll see what happens tomorrow.