The student news site of Lakeville South High School

The Current

Filed under News, Showcase, Sports

On to state

Students forgo classes to attend state tournament

jr Brandon Wentworth sits with classmates in a nearly empty classroom during first period on Thursday, March 9th

For those of you who just love having mounds of homework stacked up you’re in for a disappointment. As most of you know, with Lakeville South’s victory over Lakeville North, South is now going to state and playing against St. Thomas. And of course, that means the whole school has to go with them. Lakeville South was given 1400 tickets to the game and by the end of C lunch on Monday all the lower seat tickets were sold out. By the end of C lunch on Tuesday, they had sold over 1387 of their 1400 tickets and were soon after sold out. In a recent survey of students, 67% said they were going to the game with 68% of them skipping first hour. Of the students not going, 28% said they were likely to skip most of the school day anyway. So students and teachers alike, with about 80% of the student body planning to be gone, there’s not much that’s going to be done this Thursday. Homework, or any work in general, is going to be almost nonexistent. Though if you are behind in some class or another, this is a great opportunity for you to catch up.

The last time South was at state was in 2012 when they got 3rd. This, combined with the way the team got there this year (beating North), has led to not only the mass exodus of students on Thursday, but also high spirits as we draw closer to the fateful game. “The hype is real”, as some students said. Before the game, some students have “rituals” that they do. Some for luck, some for fun. Some go out to eat at restaurants while others like sr. Jordan Steinhagen have a “pregame get lit barbecue and tailgate”. No matter what the students are doing to get ready there’s no doubt that the whole school is pumped and ready for a fun day of yelling with friends, eating food, and especially, not doing homework.

On to state