The student news site of Lakeville South High School

The Current

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Unseeded Lakeville South boys hockey upsets No. 2 seeded St. Thomas Academy

Lakeville South Cougars take on the St. Thomas Academy Cadets. Photo taken by Allyson Werner.

In the first game of the AA Minnesota state boys hockey tournament, the unseeded Lakeville South Cougars took on the No. 2 Seeded St. Thomas Academy Cadets to compete for a chance to bring home the championship title for the first time in school history.  

In the first period, Cadets forward Ray Christy came out hard scoring the first goal of the game. It seemed that the Cougars were being out skated, as well as being out shot by a large margin of 17-4. The lone Cougar goal of the period coming from sr. Cory Checco who beat STA Goaltender Atticus Kelly to tie the game 1-1. “I thought that we needed to move our feet more. We were kinda just walking the puck. Our game is moving our feet and playing fast. We are a fast team and we needed to take the body on them more,” commented jr. Jack Olsen on the Cougars’s first period play.

Things changed quickly only 4:55 into the second period when Forward/Defenseman Jack Olsen scored right off of the faceoff to take the 2-1 lead over STA. The goal came as a surprise not only to Olsen, who took the draw on the faceoff, but to the rest of the team as well. “We drew up a play during the TV timeout and we were planning on winning it back to the defense, but it got caught up in my skate, so I just kicked it to my skates, threw it on net and it just worked out.” Only 47 seconds later, jr. Defenseman Dawson Klein made it 3-1, scoring on a similar goal to Olsen’s, off of the faceoff. STA added one late beating Cougar Goaltender Isaiah DiLaura to make the game 3-2.

In the final frame, Lakeville South rerouted St. Thomas Academy adding 2 more goals, one empty net, from both srs. William Moore and Bradley Golant. DiLaura held a strong performance stopping 31 of 33 shots during the game. “We knew that they were going to come out strong and everyone was going to have big emotions. I just tried to channel my emotions and just tried to stop every shot and make every save that I could,” commented DiLaura post-game.

The Cougars take on the Moorhead Spuds 6 p.m. tomorrow night at Xcel Energy Center in the Semi Finals. Moorhead beat the Hill-Murray Pioneers today 4-2.