The student news site of Lakeville South High School
Back to Article
Back to Article

Interview With Football Captain Jared Stewart

A favorite chant of the Lakeville South student section is dedicated to senior running back Jared Stewart. After Stewart makes a big run, which has been a common occurrence this season, the students all in unison begin chanting his name. Stewart is a team captain this year and we had a chance to sit down with him to discuss the team’s season and opinions on what the team does well and can improve on.

Q: How do you think that the football team has been shaping up this year?

A: The team has been shaping up great actually, we’ve shown sparks of where we’ve improved from last year. But also, we obviously we have our down moments.

Q: What has been the biggest obstacle to improving the team?

A: Definitely getting everyone to show up. There’s a lot of people who don’t come to all the practices and films and that can really hurt us.

Q: So how are you going to get them to practice?

A: It takes the leaders and everyone on the team to push them and keep nagging at them to get them to practice. More and more guys have been showing up so I think that we’re getting better at it.

Q: So what’s the biggest weakness you see in their team?

A: They’re not very disciplined and they tend to make a lot of mistakes.

Q: What is your response to the student section? Are they supportive enough?

A: “At times I think it’s great, but at times I think it’s not. It seems like whenever we’re winning they are hyped up, but like last week was a rough game for us and it seemed like people were leaving before the game was even over. It just gets a little disheartening sometimes.

Q: What was running through your mind during the Edina game?

A: “I was just focused on playing my best and making sure that I wasn’t making mistakes so I wouldn’t let the team down, but I was also excited because Edina is a good team and we were holding them. We had them beat at one point, but we just couldn’t follow through.”

Q: Did you agree with the refs calls during the game?

A: I do not, I definitely don’t. The fumble in the fourth quarter that they ruled as a no fumble, I think it was a fumble. Going back and watching the film I think that they made a mistake, but the game is over and there’s nothing you can do about it now.

Q: How do you and your team get physically ready for a game?

A: It’s an all week thing. Each day at practice gets more and more intense as it leads up to a game. We lift every day, we condition, and we work hard in practice.

Q: Do you get enough rest?

A: I think so. It gets tiring at moments but our coaches are definitely good with knowing what to do and giving us enough rest.

Q: How do you and your team get mentally ready for a game?

A: The day before the game we have a quiet lift in the weight room, and it helps us focus in and think about what we need to do. And before the game, we have a silent room and focus in.

Q: What are your thoughts on the coaching staff?

A: I love our coaching staff. I think that all the coaches are great, they all know what they’re doing, they’re all really experienced, and they’re a really good coaching staff to be around and talk to.

Q: How do you feel about being a captain?

A: It’s a big honor for me; I’ve always wanted to be a captain of the football team. I get to lead everyone and it’s my responsibility to make sure that the team is doing everything right. That’s just an important thing to me, and I take a lot of pride in it.

The Current • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in