The Current

Trick-or-Treating: Should High Schoolers Keep Going?

Ryan Tulis and Connor Filipi

Trick-or-Treating on Halloween is a childhood tradition that we’ve all experienced. But when is it time for that tradition to end as we get older? Staff writers Connor Filipi and Ryan Tullis debate.

“The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.” ~ Henry Ford

There is plenty of time in a person’s life to be mature and sophisticated, why not be a kid again for a night? As long as they do it in a respectful manner and put kids first, high schoolers should be able to channel their inner kid and trick-or-treat with friends without ridicule.

There’s a reason why so many kids put on costumes and go out to run around and get candy every Halloween: it’s fun! But society tells us that there is a certain age at which a person must stop trick-or-treating. That unwritten rule should not exist, because everyone should be able to bring out their youthful side, no matter how old they are. High schoolers only have a few years left before they have to start living like an adult and taking on the responsibilities of one. They only have so many more chances to act like a kid and be youthful before the must enter the world of adulthood, and they need to seize every chance they get.

Promoting a good time isn’t the only reason why high schoolers should be encouraged to go trick-or-treating- it would also lower rates of destructive behavior and activities during the night of Halloween. Every year it is bound to happen- pumpkins get smashed, a house is “TP’d”, and many other kinds of pranks take place. Some neighborhoods are worse than others, but it usually happens to all of them to some degree, and not only does it create a mess for individuals to have to clean up by themselves, but it also creates risk and possible danger to kids running around during Halloween. It is not safe to have teenager running around and wreaking havoc on the neighborhood. Promoting better behavior by encouraging teens to trick-or-treat wouldn’t eliminate the problem, but it would definitely help it.

Encouraging high schoolers to be whimsical or one night and dress up to go trick-or-treating with their friends is a great way to help them embrace their youthful side while they still can while also keeping them on the straight and narrow.

-Connor Filipi

“Let us sacrifice our today so that our children may have a better tomorrow” -A. P. J. Abdul Kalam

When you think of Halloween, you think of little kids running around the neighborhood, trick-or-treating, and getting candy. You don’t think about 6’ teens walking around in just a mask or a pair of animal ears to try to capitalize on free stuff, but that’s what we see all too often. Teens shouldn’t be trick-or-treating for 3 reasons: First is that it’s not fair to the kids. Some of these kids wait all year to go out with their costume on to get the best candy, but when all that’s left is bit-o-honey and black licorice it can be disheartening and upsetting, teens had their chance when they were younger, let the little ones have their shot. The second reason is that most time their motivations are in the wrong place. When children go out, even if they won’t admit it, they look forward to the event of Halloween just as much as the candy itself. When teens go out the whole goal for them is to get some free candy, the motivation is in the entirely wrong place. The final reason is that teens already have access to candy. Most teens have jobs, and with jobs comes money. Let’s take trick or treating for 3 hours, transfer that to 10.00 an hour that’s $30 dollars of candy. When a 2 lb bag of sour patch kids is $4, that’s a lot of candy.

-Ryan Tullis

About the Writer
Connor Filipi, Staff Writer

Favorite Color: Green
Favorite Thing About Journalism: Writing Stories
Favorite Quote: "You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take".
Favorite...

• Trick-or-Treating: Should High Schoolers Keep Going?

Arts

The Hate U Give: An Interesting Perspective on Police Brutality

Culture

Peter’s Soundbox: BROCKHAMPTON- “iridescence”

Culture

Emma Wilson overcomes tumor, finds potential career

Culture

Superfan Erik Iversen bleeds cardinal and gold.

Culture

Foreign exchange student Virginia Tarasconi comes to Lakeville from Italy

• Culture

“This Story Is Horrible.” First Of All, It was a Draft.

Arts

Soundbox: Lil Peep- “Come Over When You’re Sober Pt. 2”

News

Minnesota Midterm Election Results

Sports

Q&A with Junior Running Back Johnny Shabaz

Arts

Peter’s Soundbox: Snail Mail- “Lush”

The student news site of Lakeville South High School