Students Shine in One Act Plays

Maya Lundell, Staff Writer

Two groups of students took the stage to display their hard work in front of an audience. These students performed their one-act productions in the Lakeville South auditorium Friday, Feb. 3. A one-act play is exactly what it sounds like, a play with only one act. The play lasts under 35 minutes and is comprised of multiple scenes. The first one-act of the night, “After Math,” highlighted the disappearance of high-schooler Emmett, and the theories by other students about where he had gone. The second, “Murder by Poe,” played a twist on the life of Edgar Allen Poe.

The productions were the conclusion to several weeks of constant preparation and rehearsal. “Every day, or most days after school, we went and rehearsed. We would practice a scene, go through our lines, get feedback from the director and go from there and get better,” stated “After Math” star Mark Mosser. Beginning Jan. 3, the cast members worked after school to perfect their performance. In the end, their determination paid off.

“Before, I was super nervous and I was afraid I was going to forget my lines. But I feel like my nervousness just helped me more in the end. After, I was really relieved,”

— Mark Mosser

“Before, I was super nervous and I was afraid I was going to forget my lines. But I feel like my nervousness just helped me more in the end. After, I was really relieved,” Mosser expressed.

The audience was not disappointed either. The casts of both plays were met with cheers and applause. “I thought they were very cool stories,” remarked jr. Conner Berger, an audience member. “With the storylines, you kind of expected one thing, but it wasn’t. It turned out to be the total opposite. I thought the acting was great.”

The theater department at Lakeville South is already busy with their upcoming musical, “Guys and Dolls.” The production is expected to be performed at the end of April.