The Student News Site of Lakeville South High School

The Current

The Current

The Current

The Charm of Evil People

Elia Giles
Graphic by Elia

On November 16  2023, TikTok had to prohibit content that promotes Osama bin Laden’s 2002 letter detailing the former al Qaeda leader’s justifications for attacks against Americans. 

That even being necessary is absolutely insane. 

Almost 3000 innocent lives were taken by the attacks on 9/11. Lives of children, paramedics, firefights, people with dreams, hopes, ideas, and talents were absolutely ruined by the horror that occurred, so for people to get on their phones, and urge the internet to read his “Letter to America ” is completely asinine.

Nothing should or will justify the attacks, and it doesn’t matter what his reason behind them was. It was an objectively evil thing that occurred, and I am sickened by the fact that people are stupid enough to have that on their digital footprint. 

However, this is not the only example of people beginning to agree with horrible or violent ideas. 

Another example of someone who is considerably evil that is not only agreed but also often idolized is Andrew Tate.  If you don’t know who that is, Tate is described as a “social media personality” and is an ex kickboxer. His content usually consists of podcasts, and he considers himself one of the most influential people on the planet. 

I would like to acknowledge the fact that some of his work doesn’t seem problematic and that’s partly the stuff that his fans often consume without realizing his other downright disgusting side. Andrew Tate has been charged in Romania with rape, human trafficking and forming an organised crime group to sexually exploit women. His brother Tristan and two associates also face charges. Although not convicted, his multiple charges should raise heavy suspicion as to why this is happening. 

A lot of Tates fans are young impressionable men who see him as a beacon of masculinity. Tate is in possession of lots of very desirable things. Money, influence, cars, real estate, and while he doesn’t own them, he has a lot of sexual partners. Young men see these things and are intrigued. As they fall deeper and deeper into his web of content, the more they defend him after his accusations.

Tate is very rich. He is not going to jail. He will always have a platform. Even with him being removed from major social media platforms (for good reason), people see his content, and are drawn in. Despite everything, people still follow him.  

One more example I think is possibly the least justifiable is Jeffrey Dahmer. If you don’t know who Dahmer is, he’s an American serial killer. He took the lives of 17 men. You’d think that this behavior would be entirely rejected, and considered disgusting by everyone, yet it doesn’t stop people from getting tattoos of Dahmer. Not even tattoos that relate to the Netflix series about Dahmer. Just tattoos that are pictures of him and tattoos that spell out his name. There is a fanart of this man on the internet. And frankly it’s disgusting. (If you want to see for yourself, I’d recommend you proceed with caution.) 

Why do people do this? I wish I knew. I’m guessing some of it is comedy. However, some of the art on the internet that depicts Jeffrey Dahmer shows him in sexual positions, or in a glamorized light, as if he’s a good guy or someone interesting to follow. Depictions of Andrew Tate show him as a hero, or a “top dog”, or even a mob boss. It’s insulting to the family members of the victims of 911. It’s demeaning towards women. It’s insulting to the victims of Jeffrey Dahmer. The point is, it’s not just comedy. It’s creepy.