The Student News Site of Lakeville South High School

The Current

The Current

The Current

A Look into Lakeville South’s New Course: AP African American Studies

Graphic created by Adeyla Hoenck

With registration for classes coming to a close, getting to know some new classes to take for the next year is important. Next year at Lakeville South, Ms. McBride will be teaching a new class, AP African American Studies. Ms. McBride describes the class as an “interdisciplinary course dedicated to understanding not only the origins of black America but how it has formed and changed over time.” This class will cover a wide range of topics, from the many African kingdoms, enslavement, emancipation, and the many contributions African Americans have made to our country. What makes this class different from a textbook-based class is that African American history will be looked at not only from history but also from art, sociology, geology, maps, images, artifacts, and writings. 

Ms. McBride explains that she chose to teach this class for “the importance of representation and for a deeper understanding of what our history is by providing an alternate viewpoint and perspective that isn’t so top-down.” She believes that this class would be a great opportunity to expand the number of people taking AP classes since the content can be for anybody. Some students have never taken an AP class, which is why this class makes a great stepping stone for taking such classes. Specifically, for part of the AP test score, students are individually able to work on a historical research project on any topic within the field of African American studies. Being able to split up the AP score with a project of choice would help take the stress off of those who are not used to an AP-style class. 

I would recommend this class to anyone, especially if it is your first AP class. Before registration closes, check this class out!