An Inside Look at the Jazz Night Club Concert

Sarah Banitt, Editor

On Friday, February 4th, Lakeville South Jazz Bands and the Encore Choir teamed up to host an amazing night filled with great jazz music. There were many recognizable and popular songs showcased throughout the night such as “Feeling Good” by Michael Bublé and “Cheek to Cheek” by Fred Astaire. 

Prior to the show, I asked the musical art teachers; Mr. Bieniek, Mr.Castonguay, and Mrs. Brott what their favorite pieces of the concert were along with other jazz related questions. Their personal favorite pieces of the concert were as follows. 

Because of it’s energy Mr. Bieniek favored, “Cheek to Cheek” by Fred Astaire. 

Whereas, Mr. Castonguay preferred “Pennies From Heaven” by Louis Prima and “Save the Last Dance for Me” by The Drifters because they are easy to listen to. 

In contrast, Mrs. Brott had a special connection with “ … Doris Day music because [her] mom and [her] used to listen to her music”.

After asking about their favorite jazz songs I inquired what their favorite aspect of jazz was. All of their answers correlated with how it had a more loose feel and gave students creative freedom.

Mr. Castonguay and Mr. Bieniek could both appreciate, “The improvisation of it. Students can show their creativity”.  

Similarly, Mrs. Brott adored that,“There is flexibility in singing within jazz music.In jazz music you can make it your own. It is timeless”. 

All in all, one conclusion could be drawn, jazz is very unique and fascinating.

But, I simply had to ask what makes jazz music different from other genres. They responded with many interesting answers, like how jazz reaches out to pop culture.

Mr. Bieniek and Mr. Castonguay both pointed out that,“You have different instruments in the band. It follows the history of our country and has a unique culture. It reaches out to everyone.”

Furthermore, Mrs. Brott added that, “It’s an original art form from the United States. There are also many good harmonies”. 

Lastly, I asked what the teachers find most exciting in performing and conducting a concert. This is how they responded.

Mr. Castonguay informed me that, “You never know what’s going to happen! The spontaneity of it makes it so exciting.”

However, Mr. Bieniek’s favorite thing was, “ … that students get to take charge.”

Finally Mrs. Brott added that she loves,“ … to see the kids shine! [They] see that [their] hard work pays off.“

In conclusion, jazz music is a distinctive and amazing genre for musicians to perform. Fortunately,  the Lakeville South Jazz Bands and Encore Choir did a great job showing how special jazz music really is.